Thursday, October 16, 2008

Hiking at Boot Leg Bottom--oh yeah! -posted by katie

Such a pretty place doesn't deserve the name "Bootleg Bottom" but oh well :) I tell it how it is... Anyway, our family went hiking a couple Saturdays ago up in the Rocky Mountains (but not that high up). It was a gorgeous day. We had a touch of hail right after lunch, but were able to find shelter. No big deal :) I really was proud of my camera that day--for a $120 camera, it takes awesome pictures! And yes, I know this is way overdue too (!) but I promise that the next post is actually going to do with Florida (where we've been for the past ten days). We went to Disney yesterday--stand by for pictures! Anyway, enjoy God's creation.

This first group of pictures are from our trek up the mountain. This post will consist of four parts: climbing the mountain, at the top of the mountain, and climbing down the mountain, and at the bottom of the mountain, after the hike. These trees are called Aspens.
Your photographer for this entire post :)
What a view! And of course I meant Robert! *wink*
Artistic.
Up the trunk of an Aspen.

That path looked so picturesque! So inviting...
A strand of young trees.
Ellie running through a field.
I think you can figure out where I was in the line of peoples--very good! Behind Robert :)

Yay mom! She did great...
Ellie wanted to take a picture of this "bouquet." Hmmm...
That path I loved--I had to take two pictures of it.
Mary poses for me.
Wherein I try to do one of those artistic shots where it looks like the person is holding something when it's really just much farther away. I SORT of looks like Robert's holding that tree, right?
Through the foliage...
Ellie gives me a cheerful grin :)
The color of Fall--I love it!

Yellow against Blue.
Trekking.

And, we reach the top! This is the continental divide from a distance.
Awesome...

Patricia sees what there is to see.
Get a load of that snow!
"And the sky's still blue, for my hope is in you; you're my joy, you're the dream that's still alive. With the wind at my back and the sun on my face, you are life, you're grace; you're my blue sky!" I always think of that song by Point of Grace whenever I see these electric blue skies....
A rocky crag.

Can you tell I loved the view? I was ENRAPTURED.
Time for family pics. Always an adventure... Here some of us get warmed up.
Mary takes a peek.


The information worker who was standing at the top had this huge dog who was very friendly and loved eating aspen leaves (seriously!).
Yay! The family pic came out ok!
Another tac. Which one do you like better? This might be our Christmas card picture :)
I think this is the best view picture I took all day--stunning.
Everyone looks sort of tired in the picture.



This little dog was cute--I think he wanted to come home with us.

The next segment is of going down the trail. This was really funny... Robert and Dad climb a tree together.
Dad: Come on up, Rob!
Robert: I'm working on it *grunt*

Robert: Give me some room, Man!

Dad: Any day now...
Robert: I think I'm finally close!
Getting situated...
Smile!
They wanted a sit down picture too. Dad started saying a joke that had to do with something Robert did and Robert stopped the press by force.
What handsome men :)
Finally they decide to come down (rather sick of one another by then, I think). *wink*
Robert and I. Wow, I look as tall as him here!
All the kids and Dad were doing something and Mom started taking pictures of me.


Now you see us...
Now you see us even better! These are kind of hard to see, click on the pictures to see them bigger.

Thanks for stopping by; next on the agenda: Florida pictures! God bless...

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I love those last 2 pictures! And for the family pictures I think definitely the 1st one.

Sarah M (it says Jim...)

Ali said...

Those are so picturesque! I envy you- living in such a beautiful area. It reminds me slightly of an area of Virginia that my grandparents use to live in. Don't the pictures of the field area make you want to don a prarie girl dress and twirl around. Like the opening scene of Laura Ingalls or something. ;)

I'll e-mail you soon!