Monday, July 7, 2008

Surprise Birthday--posted by katie

My dad turned 48 on June 25th but we celebrated a few days after that, on a Sunday, with some friends. My dad's the type who loves surprise parties, so we decided to give him one. The plan was, set up the picnic, the friends arrive, and then dad gets lured out to "play tennis" by the girls, instead being taken to the party in the same vicinity :) It was so much fun...


First the set up. Mom totes the all-important food.
Here come some early guests! Mr. Cohen (with the baby) and his brother, Josh. You may not recognize him due to his nifty new glasses, but that's Robert on the far right.
Trishie!
The suspense grows as my dad approaches with Ellie and Mary. I don't think he suspects anything at this point.
Now he's on to us. He looks back (I'm not sure why--maybe he expected a surprise from behind too!).
I love the look he's got! Yes, I am a great photographer.
"Alright, whose idea was this!?!"
*hugs*
Still getting over the surprise.
The group of friends, enjoying the scene.
These are all friends we go to church with.
Before we could go about eating, prayer was in order. Patricia took these prayer pictures (without me knowing it until later--but I'm glad she did). This is Mrs. Vaughan and two of her children, Anna Marie and Amanda.
Robert and his friend Jake.
No comment.
This is sweet.
This is funny.
Cake time! Ellie made these almond vanilla cakes, with raspberries and almonds on top.
The boys, naturally drooling over the dessert.
Finally, time to cut them!
Still drooling.
How lovely.
A perfect piece.
Mike and Dad.
L-R: Ashley, Mrs. Vaughan, Mrs. Einarson, Amy.
Mandy's feet.
Part of the happy Einarson family! :)
My table. Mary was supposed to take my place, but she looked away! Left to right (or clockwise): Mary, Felicia, Mike, Ellie, Mrs. Wayne, Mr. Wayne.
Mrs. Cohen with her brand new baby, Elijah!
Mr Cohen and Dad.
Mandy and Patricia.
So I say smile and get the usual response from guys--the complete opposite of what I want. Oh, Zach (middle) is smiling, but Robert naturally puts something over his face! *sigh* Eric is on the far right.
Trishie's dear little feet (actually, they're bigger than mine!--but they're still dear *wink*).
Ellie and Mrs. Wayne.
Cheese!
Friends :)
The sun was setting over the mountains and I just couldn't resist taking a few pictures while we were cleaning up.

And so it sets...
It was a wonderful party and I know my dad was super blessed. Thanks to all of you who were there and who contributed to the fun, frolic, and fellowship. Have a wonderful week!

2 comments:

Lizzy said...

Oh, ah, the feet in the pink Crocs are not Mandy's feet! They are Aria Cohen's...It is Ok..you didn't know.I know.( probably 'cause i took it! lol) <3 Trishie

The Stone Family Band said...

What a wonderful celebration, Cochran family! Wished we could have been there! Love you so much and praying for all of you!
Love Ever,
Anna :)